The position of Electrical Estimator at Interstates Construction involves specialized work in estimating electrical construction projects. The projects will vary from industrial to commercial in nature and will include various industries. This position prepares and assists in the creation of job estimates. If working in a dual role as a Project Manager, it would also include participation in the delivery of these projects.
Major Performance Objectives:
A strong predictor of success for an Electrical Estimator would be to estimate project costs confidently and accurately, while working within the team environment. A proficient estimator should also be able to complete estimates within the required bid cycles.
Keys to Achieving Performance Objectives:
Be able to estimate projects less than one million dollars confidently, while working within the team environment.
• Effectively utilizing the following technology to complete the estimates:
1.Accubid: Using common assemblies to complete efficient take-offs to free up time to work on other tasks
2.Microsoft Word: Composing proposals in Interstates formats & fonts
3.Microsoft Excel: Utilizing formulas in excel to speed up pricing time
• Ability to price projects competitively in the marketplace within +/- 5% of market value
• Ability to work with venders/purchasing to solicit material pricing
• Ability to write winning proposals/scopes of work
• Understanding our project execution systems and how this impacts our pricing structure
• Understanding company productivity rates of projects under construction and to be able to apply these to estimates
Key skill requirements:
• Electrical knowledge (Field experience, education and/or knowledge of the National Electric Code)
• Ability to determine project scopes by reading and reviewing drawings
• Ability to complete accurate take-off of materials from reading plans and specifications and vision to relate this to project realities
• Ability to determine scopes and high level electrical design to complete pricing for design build projects (or work effectively with engineers to complete scope definition)
• Ability to communicate effectively and concisely with customers, vendors and other project team members
• Self-starter/self leadership to complete projects within bid time constraints (time management)
• Ability to utilize technology (Microsoft office, electronic bidding programs) to complete take-offs, bills of materials, professional proposals, and bid forms
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Ability to understand customers needs through communications to provide confidence in scope and execution abilities
This position requires polished interpersonal skills to build relationships with external customers for example, venders for best material pricing and General Contractors for loyalty. It also requires interface with multiple internal departments and team members to gather information to finalize estimates.
Your job location (corporate or regional office) will determine the amount of time you will interact with:
• Human resources for labor rates and manpower requirements
• Accounting for sales tax (Also for projections and billings if managing a project)
• Legal department for contract reviews and executions
• Proposal teams (Business Development, Project Manager) to help build winning proposals
• Post award teams (assist with changes, assist with managing customer relations, lead project kick-offs)
An Electrical Estimator’s ability to accurately determine scope and pricing of a project has a direct impact on the profitability of Interstates Construction